The Social Media and Digital Revolutions present major opportunities (but also threats) to companies and organisations of all sizes and across all sectors. While there is growing consensus on the need for digital transformation, numerous studies have highlighted major knowledge and skills shortages in this area, especially at senior management level.
A 2013 survey by Cap Gemini Consulting and the MIT Center for Digital Business found that missing digital/social media skills were the key hurdle to digital transformation in 77% of the companies surveyed, (‘The Digital Talent Gap: Developing Skills for Today’s Digital Organizations, 2013’). A more recent study by Forrester Research concluded that most organisations are ‘woefully unprepared to deal with the digital (and social media) onslaught’, with many executives reporting a ‘digital execution crisis’ ( Forrester: Businesses having trouble getting with the digital times).
Successful digital led change requires the full support of CEOs to drive investment priorities. However, few CEOs fully understand digital or social. A new breed of senior executive is required – Digital Business Leaders – executives who can combine high level business knowledge, experience and understanding with the ability to develop digital transformation strategies fully aligned with and supportive of agreed business goals and objectives. Executives with the personal skills and confidence to drive organisational change (see previous blog post from earlier this year – Digital Business Leaders Urgently Required).
With the above in mind, we are delighted to announce the launch, early next year, of a new Professional Diploma in Social Media/Digital Leadership, fully endorsed by Strathclyde Business School*, University of Strathclyde. The Diploma seeks to create future digital leaders by disseminating ‘best practice’ advice covering the development, implementation and proactive management of effective social media/digital change strategies for building sustained customer and competitive advantage. Key topics covered will include the following:
- Understanding the Social Media and Digital Revolutions
- Social Media/Digital Strategy Development and Performance Measurement
- Strategy Implementation 1: Effective Social Media Channel Management
- Strategy Implementation 2: Managing Digital Transformation
- Delivering Social Customer Service Excellence
- From Social Media to Social Business
Given the dynamic pace of change in this area, the Diploma will be fully supported by a ‘Future Digital Leaders’ Online Community ensuring that course content is updated on a regular basis.
The Professional Diploma is highly suitable for the following individuals:
- CEOs and Senior Executives tasked with the responsibility for creating responsive organisations in an era of turbulent digital change
- Business Owners wishing to exploit the full potential of social media and digital technology for achieving sustained growth and competitiveness
- Middle Managers responsible for developing and implementing agreed Social Media/Digital Strategies and Action Plans
- Junior Managers and recent graduates wishing to develop careers as Social Media Managers/Digital Leaders
- An in-company version of the Diploma is available
More details will be provided early in the New Year. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions about the Diploma and/or wish to be considered for entry. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the comments section below.
Dr Jim Hamill
*Strathclyde Business School, based in Glasgow, is ‘an internationally renowned academic organisation that shapes and develops the business minds of tomorrow’ (www.strath.ac.uk/business/aboutus). It is a triple accredited Business School, holding accreditation from the three main international bodies AMBA, AACSB and Equis.