Following on from the recent post Reinventing the University we have identified some of the best articles which we think describe very powerfully the changes taking place in Higher Education.
The traditional University is being disrupted by digital technology, social media and the net generation:
Universities must embrace social media (and some are making good progress) despite the challenges:
- How Higher Education Uses Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]
- 7 Ways Universities Are Using Facebook as a Marketing Tool
- Social media presents challenge to universities
The market is getting tougher as new places of learning are invented and new competitors emerge:
- 15 Education And Learning Startups You Need To Know
- Academic Earth Aggregates Lectures from MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Others [Education]
- New Service From Harvard Aims to Replace Classroom Lectures
- Apple: iBooks 2 will ‘reinvent texbooks’
These companies and university initiatives are of particular interest:
- Khan Academy
- Academic Earth
- MIT Open Courseware
- Stanford Engineering Everywhere
- University of the People
- General Assembly
Just as there are huge opportunities for those Universities and Colleges that “get it” and begin to plan their social media strategies, we suspect the future is less bright for those slow to act.
As always your comments are welcome.
Alan, Jim and Vincent