The Talking Heads song ‘Road to Nowhere’ is a useful analogy for many businesses’ approach to Digital Media.
The ‘Road to Nowhere’ is…
- Exhilarating, taking in some great places like Facebook, Twitter and iPad.
- Dynamic, with a focus on what’s new and ‘where is everyone else going’?
- Easy to join, you don’t need group consensus nor senior management buy-in.
- Ill defined, there is no success-criteria, benchmarks or KPIs.
- Expensive, thanks to feature creep and muddled thinking.
- Wasteful, creating a “tried and failed” mindset and preventing future initiatives.
Focussing our attention on Digital roadmaps and cool, new technologies is a quick way to join the ‘Road to Nowhere’.
If you were affected by any of the issues raised in this article please let us know. We have a workshop just right for you 🙂
‘Social Media Planning Pays’.
As always your comments are most welcome.
Alan, Jim and Vincent